Here are some interesting bee facts that you may not know!
- Bee hives can have up to and over 80,000 bees.
- There are three castes in the hive (queen, drone, and worker)
- There is only one queen per hive and her only purpose is to reproduce
- Drones (male bees) are not needed during the winter and so the workers ( female bees) will kick them out at the end of the season
- Average size of a worker bee is 1/2 an inch
- A healthy colony of bees can produce 300 - 500 pounds of honey a year
- Bees fly 55,000 miles to make 1 lb of honey
- Over the course of her lifetime, the worker bee will only produce 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey
- A bee visits 50 to 100 flowers in one trip out of the hive